100 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: some more  (Read 4406 times)

Susky

• PA Fisher
some more
« on: April 26, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »

Started my day early on the river and caught a beautiful SKUNK.  Switched gears and hit a Crick.  Managed 7 more bows.  One on a panther and the rest on magnets.  I have a gut feeling that the water is just too cold for a good panther Martin bite.  Many I'm wrong and just lost my touch but when I switch from a spinner to a slower presentation its game on.  Good amount of fish still in there where I was today so I'm excited to go back.  Doesn't get restocked still sometime in may too  8)
Don't Horse Em ....

NYPA FISHING

some more
« on: April 26, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »

zziipp

• TAKE A LONG WALK OFF A SHORT PIER
Re: some more
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:46:52 PM »
nice fish.and the spinner bite is slow. the other week we were getting some on spinners but you had to keep the retrieve real slow and basicaly scrape the bottom.i seen a lot of guys with spinners getting lil action or snagging bottom trying to slow thier retrieve down. i really like spinners after a rain when the cricks are up and a lil dirty i do best with them or in current where you just cant keep jigs in front of them.once the hatches start and the trout start enjoying thier topside meals im not a fly guy so i will switch to a salted minnow and float em to em.once them cricks are low and clear and them trout get a lil more picky the fly guys have the upperhand.on another note andy walked the crick during the week in waders and went to the other side he told me he scored big on spinners.he got something like 20 spinners he pulled outta trees and snags.he said he stopped fishing for fish and started hunting the areas for spinners. he said a lot of them were almost brand new.

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »
Sounds like he made a haul on free spinners!  I agree with you on the high stained water.  Another key that I find with spinner fishing is casting upstream and retrieving with the current.  Its not a hard concept to figure out.  Just think of which way trout face in the water and then what direction food naturally flows to them.  Oppps, I just gave up my secret  8).  Thanks for the compliment zip!
Don't Horse Em ....

zziipp

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »
i hear ya susky i love the vibrax for casting up stream. and you def gotta have a high retieve gear ratio on your reel for that.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 01:58:16 PM »

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 02:05:37 PM »
Absolutely zip.  But darn it works good.  Often I add a barrel swivel 12 to 18 inches up the line to prevent line twist.  Spinners cause A LOT of line twist that will bite you in the butt eventually.
Don't Horse Em ....

chez

• AINT LIVING LONG LIKE THIS,,,,HAUS!!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 02:15:22 PM »
Nice fishes,susky.i love how the bows fight
What turned out to be a Joke,The Law Dogs  Dont Understand!!!!

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 02:21:58 PM »
They sure are jumpers chez.  Even for stickies they are fun!
Don't Horse Em ....

chez

• AINT LIVING LONG LIKE THIS,,,,HAUS!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »
You should hook into a bow in the DELAWERE,22" of better.I HOPE YOUR NOT BUSY FOR AB GOOD 20 MINUTES.
Susky,PLEASE stay away from that DINOS PIZZA ,brother.
What turned out to be a Joke,The Law Dogs  Dont Understand!!!!

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »
From what I've seen lately the trouts metabolism is slowed down for sure.  I like stripping wooly buggers like a streamer and the trout can hit it hard, but that has been the exception rather than the rule.   

I used to spin fish with rooster tails and I can relate, the trout just haven't seemed to be in the mood to chase anything lately.

One thing for sure weather you're fly or spin fishing, you can't count on one method to work all the time, got to be a little flexible.  Water temps and flow conditions pretty much rule the day. 

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 02:48:12 PM »
Great point HD.  It is amazing how even a few degrees can make a difference.  One positive of the cold temps is that there should be a good amount of hold overs this year.
Don't Horse Em ....

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 02:49:37 PM »
You should hook into a bow in the DELAWERE,22" of better.I HOPE YOUR NOT BUSY FOR AB GOOD 20 MINUTES.
Susky,PLEASE stay away from that DINOS PIZZA ,brother.

Chez I can't wait for that brother! 

I'm talking the rainbow not Dino's  8)
Don't Horse Em ....

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »
Susky, that's always the case in my opinion, if the water quality is good and the creek doesn't dry up in the summer some trouts will surely hold over.  Predators take some and the fish commission puts some over sized trout in smaller creeks, but the average sized ones that learn how to adapt will certainly survive and a few will reproduce.

I've seen quite a few wild brown trout in the past few seasons.

This discussion reminds me of the Loyalsock, I used to camp out there every spring and caught a few stockies every year but the locals would all say "don't bother fishing the Sock until May, the water is just too cold". 

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 03:37:36 PM »

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 04:10:29 PM »
That rings true more than ever this year HD.  I'm hoping the lack of a good bite and the novelty of opening day wears off before things heat up saving fish and making it better later unto the season for us catch and release guys.  I know that sounds kind of selfish but the crowds thin out more and more every week after opening day but that makes it more enjoyable for me.
Don't Horse Em ....

zziipp

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 07:07:28 PM »
very true hd.i keep in the early season from certain cricks.others i release almost everything.when the cricks are to warm and low i leave it to you fly guys and chase the smallies in the river.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2015, 07:07:28 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com