53 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: reel lubrication  (Read 3123 times)

Susky

• PA Fisher
reel lubrication
« on: March 14, 2015, 06:30:55 PM »
What do you guys use o lubricate your spinning reels?  How often do you feel reel maintenance is needed?
Don't Horse Em ....

NYPA FISHING

reel lubrication
« on: March 14, 2015, 06:30:55 PM »

Devle dropper

• Get some
Re: reel lubrication
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 11:10:15 PM »
I think two extremes are involved here. I have some good quality reels that I have never maintained other than just a wipe down. I also have some less quality reels that require a little more TLC and some grease once a year. You deffinatly dont want to over lubricate

chez

• AINT LIVING LONG LIKE THIS,,,,HAUS!!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 05:56:28 AM »
One year I was trout fishing the BIG D in and around HANDCOCK NY,Was there for the weekend.I slipped and droped my 11 1/2' NOODLE rod and PENN real in the river.Had to chase it a few yards but did get it back.Shook it off and continued to fish.About an hour or so the reel got stiff and then stiffer.I stoped at a store in HANDCOCK and bought some WD40,it got me threw the weekend.
When I got home I took the reel apart and cleaned it well and lubed everything with the[[[ PENN LUBERCAINT.]]]
What turned out to be a Joke,The Law Dogs  Dont Understand!!!!

fishfinder

• wired to fish
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »
In my opinion a lot depends on what part of the reel your lubricating and also the brand of the  reel. I use Cal's reel grease on drag washers and bearings. I like Quantum Hot Sauce or Ardent reel butter on other moving parts. Another suggestion is to thoroughly remove any old grease and lubricant before applying new grease, some lubricants don't blend well with others. I use rubbing alcohol then use air in a can to blow it all out. You can also use wd40 as a degreaser but you would then have to use soapy water to remove the film it leaves.
Fish hard, bend your rod

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2015, 09:02:55 AM »

FM

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 09:33:36 AM »
One year I was trout fishing the BIG D in and around HANDCOCK NY,Was there for the weekend.I slipped and droped my 11 1/2' NOODLE rod and PENN real in the river.Had to chase it a few yards but did get it back.Shook it off and continued to fish.About an hour or so the reel got stiff and then stiffer.I stoped at a store in HANDCOCK and bought some WD40,it got me threw the weekend.
When I got home I took the reel apart and cleaned it well and lubed everything with the[[[ PENN LUBERCAINT.]]]

I was always amazed at the nimrods up at the Salmon River who thought they are being cool letting their reels dip in the water while they are unhooking or posing for pics with their catches. One knucklehead sees another knucklehead doing this and it gets passed along the knucklehead information highway. lol I hate getting a reel wet. It is the kiss of death. I carry lube in my car for emergencies. As far as lubing goes I do it as required with the stuff that came with the reel usually. My ice fishing reels get sprayed with WD-40 which works well for me in the cold temps.
FM

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2015, 01:52:37 PM »
Great info guys.  I have been using the club that comes with the reels and it works for me.  Was just wondering if there was anything bigger and better out there.  Great idea on the WD40 for the ice reel .  Oh and how I hate when one if myvreels gets dunked too.  All that grit and sand and such gets in them and its all over. 
Don't Horse Em ....

fishfinder

• wired to fish
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2015, 09:07:35 PM »
speaking of Wd40...a few months ago there was an article in field and stream about how good wd40 is as  a fish attractant when sprayed on your lures. There was also an article  in bass master magazine about marinating soft plastics in a mix of wd40 and garlic.
Fish hard, bend your rod

chez

• AINT LIVING LONG LIKE THIS,,,,HAUS!!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:46:41 AM »
an old timmer told me to spray wd40 on my bad knee and it would help.
never tried it though,gotta get surgery before next ice season for sure.
What turned out to be a Joke,The Law Dogs  Dont Understand!!!!

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 05:46:41 AM »

Filetandrelease

• PA Fisher
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2015, 10:11:09 AM »

I also use wd40 and silicone , in my reels , if my reel gets dunked , which does happen from time to time , it goes home  , taken down and hosed out , and sometimes maybe a drop of sewing machine oil and I have never had a problem , ice reels or soft water reels

KingPerch

• NY DIEHARD!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 12:22:04 PM »
an old timmer told me to spray wd40 on my bad knee and it would help.
never tried it though,gotta get surgery before next ice season for sure.
Chez, gotta use windex on your knee! Lol! That was from my Greek wedding movie, I think....ol timer in the movie thought that fixed everything! Lol! Take care of that knee! ;)

Wd-40 does help with water and moisture...good ol Remington oil works good too.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:25:15 PM by KingPerch »
Do what you like, like what you do! LIFE IS GOOD!

R.I.P Rodney!😎

durk

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 12:49:56 PM »
WD40 is good for getting glue or tape off
of car paint and good for bug and tar remover
I don't know about Chez's knee he should
go to Africa that were the Knee Gros  8)

outbakjak

• PA Fisher
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »
I like abu Garcia reel lube,break free clp,rusty duck but the wifes uncle gave me a bottle of Eezox to try on my reels and guns.very expensive he said but he swears by it I will give it a try

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2015, 02:29:00 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com