52 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: What am i doing wrong? Lake wallenpaupack!  (Read 6719 times)

Rtrucking40

• PA Fisher
What am i doing wrong? Lake wallenpaupack!
« on: July 19, 2015, 06:03:34 PM »
So ive been fishing there a few times over the past few weeks. Ive been trolling 30-50 fow night and day and ive only managed 1 smallmouth and 1 striped bass. Im putting in the time i feel like i just need a bump in the right direction i have downriggers and have been using dipsys off the sides. My taget has been brown trout but no luck and advice?

NYPA FISHING

What am i doing wrong? Lake wallenpaupack!
« on: July 19, 2015, 06:03:34 PM »

outbakjak

• PA Fisher
Re: What am i doing wrong? Lake wallenpaupack!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 06:20:46 PM »
you are probably doing what you are supposed to do BUT that lake will humble you.try to find the thermocline if you can. I trolled it heavy back in the nineties both night and day,flatlining and downriggers,never really set the place on fire,a few perch,an occasional channel cat.then I tried drifting with livebait of different sorts.wah lah the fishing picked up or try casting the docks or the weed beds,mix it up until you find what works the best,the fish are there.good luck

shiver318

• PA Fisher
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 08:08:28 PM »
I only make the trek to this lake two or three times a year but I've never figured it out either! Caught some nice smallmouth the first time there, must have beginners luck!

The_Kid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »
What species  are you trying to catch?

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »

Rtrucking40

• PA Fisher
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2015, 06:26:27 AM »
Trying to catch brown trout specificly, but stripers and walleye are welcome!

FM

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »
There are browns in the pack but its not loaded with them. a far better place to target browns is Harvey's Lake.
FM

pabassman

• PA Fisher
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2015, 03:01:03 PM »
Trying to catch brown trout specificly, but stripers and walleye are welcome!

FM is correct. Lots get put in, most get eaten. As far as stripes and eyes there is a great population of both. I am not a troller. Early May into July we do well casting assorted stickbaits and swimbaits at night in areas where the alewives are spawning. We were out Saturday and there are still areas with bait up and fish working in them. Now that the heat is turned up they seem to move deeper. I've heard of guys trolling stickbaits and crawler rigs on riggers and boards. Hope this helps.

Rtrucking40

• PA Fisher
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
You guys are great! All the help is much appreciated, i do plan on hitting harveys but i want to get dialed in on the pack 1st. Pabassman i can appreciate the work youve done on there ive seen many if your threads in my hunt for info! Ive read some articles that say exactly what you guys are talking about dont expect numbers of browns but say there are state record quality ones in there. Any idea how well working the thermocline this time of the year works? Where are you guys finding the thermocline this time of year on the pack?

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »

MMHoneywell

• PA Fisher
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
The guys are right, the PAK will give you a steep learning curve. I like to troll also 95 % of the time, still haven't banged a nice brown, but do well on walleye and striper, and an occasional cat.  I never go deeper than 20 feet on downriggers, mainly because of areas that have big things sticking up in the water column. I like rattling stick baits and stinger spoons, nothing longer than 5 or six inches.  Now Harvey's, my favorite goto lake, This time of year I do not troll deeper than 10 to 15 feet, again lure length 3 to 5 inch. Brown trout rapalas and stinger blue and silver spoons.  This lake also has large quantity of alewives as forage base.  Couple of the guys have been banging big browns using live bait near the point across from the old Hanson park, in 15 to 20 fow.  Good luck and have fun, lots of eaters are still in there.  Blue and silver will up your catch rate in both sticks and spoons, at least that has been my experience.

FM

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »
I have little experience with deep water trolling but the pack at 55 fow max seems a bit shallow to set up a classic thermocline. Harveys at close to 100 fow should have one develop. Don't get me wrong the water close to the bottom will always be colder but as far as the type of sharp temperature delineation you are looking for I don't think the pack has what it takes.
FM

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 05:22:07 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com