37 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Pen fishing rod combo  (Read 4193 times)

fishfinder

• wired to fish
Pen fishing rod combo
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:54:05 PM »

I purchased  a pen fishing combo from penfishinrods.com
It measures 8 inches closed and 5 feet 1 inch extended,  came with a rear drag micro size reel that holds 70 yds of 4lb test. This and a small assortment of tackle are goin in a backpack for some hiking adventures...and will be in the truck at all times for those occasions  when passing by a tempting  stream or pond.
Fish hard, bend your rod

NYPA FISHING

Pen fishing rod combo
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:54:05 PM »

fishfinder

• wired to fish
Re: Pen fishing rod combo
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 06:06:30 AM »
I'm contemplating loading it with Berkley crystal fireline 6lb (2lb dia.) Or Berkley nanofil for added casting distance and longevity then just   carrying various size leader material.
Fish hard, bend your rod

chez

• AINT LIVING LONG LIKE THIS,,,,HAUS!!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 07:45:41 AM »
Nice little set up there FishFinder.Good luck with it.Post some pics with fish you catch on it if possable.
Dandy little set up for the tiny little native trout streams.
What turned out to be a Joke,The Law Dogs  Dont Understand!!!!

fishfinder

• wired to fish
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:01:19 AM »
Nice little set up there FishFinder.Good luck with it.Post some pics with fish you catch on it if possable.
Dandy little set up for the tiny little native trout streams.
I will def post pics of successful oitings...the first thing I thought of when I saw this set up was native trout streams
Fish hard, bend your rod

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 09:01:19 AM »

chez

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 09:58:49 AM »

Heres a picture of my son birdman before he got clean cut.
We caught these 2 native browns at the same time.took a pic and released them unharmed.This creek is loaded with native browns and brookies.Its one of many i know of in the Poconos.
If the creeks get filled back up this year i would gladly take you on a trip for these beautiful trout Fishfinder.
I might have to blindfold you the last 10 miles.lol.
Let me know if the creeks come up,or even next spring buddy.
We will do a trip.

fishfinder

• wired to fish
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 11:40:36 AM »
I will gladly take you up on that...will keep in touch  :D
Fish hard, bend your rod

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 03:36:25 PM »
Have you used it yet ?   

I've read some pretty sour reviews of the pen fishing pole.  I've had telescopic rods since I was a kid, Shakespeare makes one, Eagle Claw is another company that makes tele-rods.  They are awesome for backpacking and they function like a decent lite or ultra-lite rod.   I've read that the pen rods either break or are not very functional.

I also don't trust the "combo" reels.  The lightest reel that I've found that I can almost always depend on is the Shimano UL.  They can be picked up for under $20.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble and I truly hope all the reviews I read are false and you have good luck with that outfit, but, the reason I posted this is because I was looking to buy one of those a few years back until I read tons of negative reviews.
Hopefully they've improved on quality since then.

You can pack 2-piece rods but in reality if you're doing some serious backpacking your chances of snapping a rod piece are pretty high.  I take my Shakespeare telescopic rod with me when I'm fishing native trout streams, I generally fly fish and carry the fly rod.  When the brush gets too much or if I want to switch over I pull out the telescopic rod for spinner fishing. 

Worst thing for you would be to be way out in the wilderness and have that pen rod break on you with no back up.  I'd try it out before that could happen.  Let us know how you make out with it.

fishfinder

• wired to fish
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 04:53:18 PM »
I haven't had a chance to use it yet...the company I bought from is penfishingrods.com located on new York. I was actually impressed with the reviews on his pen rods, nothing like the cheap ones found on ebay. The youtube vids sold me on this company...they hold a few records for biggest fish caught on micro light tackle. They also have a micro fly reel that has good reviews. Now you can't treat cheese like a normal fishing rod...yes they will break if not used properly. I plan to give it a workout over the long weekend so we'll see how it performs.
Fish hard, bend your rod

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 04:53:18 PM »

fishfinder

• wired to fish
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 08:10:14 PM »
Finally got some action with pen fishing rod so here's a little review...love the pen rod, I was shocked how sensitive it was, prob better than most of other ultralight rods that I paid more for. Casts light jigs with ease...was using 1/32 and 1/16 also small spinners on 4lb floro. The reel is ok...it serves it's purpose, I wouldn't bank on longevity. I may try and modify a better quality ultralight reel to fit in rods tiny reel seat. All in all I'm satisfied with the purchase. I keep keep it in small backpack along with a few small tackle box's stowed away in my truck ready for those times when you drive by pond or stream thinking...I wonder if there's any fish in there...here's a few pics

This came out of his mouth

No trophies in here but it's close to my home and cures that "itch" when you need a tug on the line  ;)
Fish hard, bend your rod

chez

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 05:56:18 AM »
Nice combo,i have 2 penn reels on my noodle rods.great reels,never any issues.a bit$$$$$$$$$,but well worth it in my eyes.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 05:56:18 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com