63 Guests, 3 Users

Author Topic: Super murky water on the pack. Alge?  (Read 1733 times)

Rtrucking40

• PA Fisher
Super murky water on the pack. Alge?
« on: October 11, 2015, 12:32:10 PM »
New fishing was gonna be real tough yesterday but was my only chance to get out in three weeks. Water was brown tint and looked like lots of particles floating around. Could not find any fish suspending thought they might stay shallow with the water so staind but not a single hit trolled cranks fast and slow and trolled some live herring nothing. Suprisinly still quite a bit of pleasure boaters flying around. So whats the deal with the water how long does it usually take to clear up?

NYPA FISHING

Super murky water on the pack. Alge?
« on: October 11, 2015, 12:32:10 PM »

Spider1

• PA Fisher
Re: Super murky water on the pack. Alge?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 07:26:12 AM »
could be what they call "fall turnover". Basically, the upper level temperatures cool off fast in the fall. Especially after a very cold front with cold rain moves through. The top surface cools to below the temps of the bottom of the lake and the bottom then rises to the top bringing silt and other debris. here's an article about it that I read a while ago.

http://dwb.unl.edu/Teacher/NSF/C01/C01Links/www.fieldandstream.com/fishing/fsturnover.html

FM

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 02:21:20 PM »
I would chalk it up to the big rain storms we had two weeks ago. I had 3.75 inches in 2 days in my backyard. Lots of run off went into the lake. Once silt gets into a lake it takes a while for it to settle out to the bottom. Its not like a river that flushes out with fresh new water in a few days.
FM

pabassman

• PA Fisher
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »
  The lake has had a green tint for a couple weeks. A lot of the weeds are slimy and not holding fish. The rain and probably turnover happening will make things tough for a week. 

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 08:36:00 PM »

shiver318

• PA Fisher
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »
Two out of three lakes and a farm pond that I checked this week have had the brown murky turnover. Makes fishing tough but will clear up in a week or so!

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 11:34:31 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com