35 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: homemade dash and scupper mount  (Read 2961 times)

Spider1

• PA Fisher
homemade dash and scupper mount
« on: April 07, 2016, 08:10:02 AM »
I got myself a new Lowrance and had to figure a way to mount it on my kayak, after checking all the different options I settled on a dash so I wouldn't have to drill into my yak. I tried a swing arm transducer mount last year on my canoe and hated it and the FF uses DSI as well as HDI so I didn't want to do an in-hull mount and lose some of the sensitivity from the DSI so I decided on a scupper mount. The store bought dash is basically just a board with a riser. But then I would have to get a box for the battery and a scupper mount and even then it wasn't gonna do what I had in mind soooo. To the work shop!

I came up with a dash that would hold my battery and wires securely and I sort of over built it and made it as waterproof as I could in case I flip.

I filled the holes with closed cell foam and lined it with an insulating strip.

everything fit nice and neatly in side. Then I had to come up with the scupper mount. I used a piece of stainless threaded rod and made a small bracket out of a piece of 3/4x1/8 stainless bar stock. and added a couple pieces of closed cell foam to keep it centered, I cut the foam with a 1 1/2" hole saw.

It fit perfectly.

And I topped it off with a piece of a carving board I cut with a 2" hole saw and a thumbscrew I had laying around.

I have plans for adding a few other things as I go. The spaces on the side of the box gives me ideas... I'm thinking... down riggers  8)

NYPA FISHING

homemade dash and scupper mount
« on: April 07, 2016, 08:10:02 AM »

chez

• AINT LIVING LONG LIKE THIS,,,,HAUS!!!!
Re: homemade dash and scupper mount
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2016, 10:19:00 AM »
Very nice.
Your getting too complex now for me.
your gunna need a trailer to pull that yak.
if i get that advanced ill take my boat.
you are making that yak into a ultimate fishing machine.
good job.
i cant wait to see it in person.
keep the pics comming.
if it warms up maybe we can get these yaks on the water...
What turned out to be a Joke,The Law Dogs  Dont Understand!!!!

perchgypsy

• West Wind
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 10:47:06 AM »
Very cool spider....I am going to super glue a magnet to my dash so I can stick a few baits I want to use for each outing and not have to go threw boxes of stuff to find things...another idea for your dash
also a sticker ruler to make measuring easy in the yak as well

Spider1

• PA Fisher
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »
naa, not complex. I just put a fish finder on it... and I did it without drilling. The fish finder is cool, it has the down scan imaging. basically, you can see the bottom structure. Or change it to the hybrid dual imaging where it uses both beams at the same time... in color! neat stuff. I had a Garmin on my canoe last year, sold that and got the Lowrance cuz I wanted the DSI.

I'm thinking of putting on a scotty mini downrigger for trolling the pack but that will wait. This is about as modified as I'm gonna do right now but then again, with this crumby weather we keep getting I might get bored and get a brainstorm and start work on something else. LED lighting, or hard wire my stern light and add a bow light... or who knows, maybe a sound system. But ya got a point there, maybe I do need a trailer, it'll be easier than hoisting it on top of the car! Good thing I made that box out of cedar so it isn't so heavy.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 10:53:15 AM »

Spider1

• PA Fisher
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2016, 10:58:27 AM »
Perchgypsy, thanks, I have a sticky ruler on the starboard gunwale. Another good place is on the paddle handle. The seat on this thing is huge and has a bunch of compartments to store stuff including under the seat is an opening to plano tackle box. There is storage on this thing like crazy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 01:44:58 PM by Spider1 »

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2016, 11:27:35 AM »
 :o   Wow you're really Hot Modding that yak, you should have a TV show  What kind of rod holder do you have on there ?

Sound system, really ?   ???

Nemo

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2016, 11:39:40 AM »
Lookin good spider! Maybe you should make that box so you can remove it if you have to, just a thought. Did somebody say TV show?   https://www.facebook.com/YakFishTV

Spider1

• PA Fisher
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 01:55:15 PM »
Sound system, really ?

lol, no. well... probably no 8)

It's a scotty rod holder. It's part of the package deal when you buy the kayak, that and an Aqua-bound paddle. The guy I bought it from gave me a kayak cart as well. Good thing cuz this thing is heavy. It's the heaviest ones in it's size. Didn't realize that when I bought it. No big deal but the thing by itself weighs in at 75#.

Nemo, the box is removable. The only problem is the ducer wire. It's so long that it's a pain to feed it through the hole every time. Doesn't matter, it really doesn't need to come off. The FF comes off easily, it has a quick release in the back and then just take off the wires. When I want to charge the battery it comes out without a hassle.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2016, 01:55:15 PM »

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 03:20:16 PM »
I have a Scotty that I purchased for my pontoon, I never used it.  Creek Company makes D-Ring rod  holders that work perfectly and I can reverse them. 

One good think about pontoons is we have plenty of frame tubing to clamp things to.  I even used to stand on the frame and fish standing up, not sure I have the onions to do that anymore.

My Scotty rod holder has a strap to wrap around the toon, I never liked the set-up, although it can also be used on a belly boat.

Spider1

• PA Fisher
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 05:21:08 AM »
a lot of these fishing kayaks are getting these t-slot mounting tracks on them and you can buy and add as many as you want. One of the options I had was adding a short track to a flat spot that was designed into this kayak for that purpose. That way I could add the FF on a ram mount or add a rod holder, or a camera mount or a... the list goes on. I decided not to go that way cuz then I would either have a battery bag on deck with the wires and such in it and very vulnerable when and if I flip or I could drill and put the battery inside but that would defeat the purpose that I had in mind of not unnecessarily drilling the boat. heck, the hole for the wires has to be 1 1/4". That's the one thing about these fishing platform type kayaks, infinte possibilities. One thing I want to make as an add on is a bait cutting station. It's just a small cutting board mounted to one of the tracks. Gives you a place to cut up bait if you want. This boat, the Wilderness Systems Ride 115 is touted as very stable and designed for standing in. It's built on a pontoon style hull. I haven't had the chance to try yet and I will probably wait until the water gets a bit warmer just in case. In fact, I plan on taking it to the Promised Land beach early this summer to practice flip and recovery. Spend a few hours learning how to fall out of and get back into my boat. Should be a ton of fun in case anyone wants to join me. ;D

chez

• AINT LIVING LONG LIKE THIS,,,,HAUS!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 05:46:26 AM »
That's a REALLY NICE YAK,BUDDY.
ID FEEL SAFE WITH THAT IN THE BAY<DRIFTING FOR FLOUNDERS......
KEEP THEM PICTURES COMMING :)
What turned out to be a Joke,The Law Dogs  Dont Understand!!!!

Spider1

• PA Fisher
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 07:09:31 AM »
The guy I got it from was taking it out into the LI sound. He like going out farther and his Hobie pro-angler did a better job of it. This boat would be good in a harbor or up to a mile from shore at the most. It really isn't a fast boat and ain't good for making distance. I can't wait to get it on the pack. That should be plenty big for me. That's why I want the mini troller, just set it and start paddling.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2016, 07:09:31 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com