77 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Weed Beds  (Read 5754 times)

brownmk19

• PA Fisher
Weed Beds
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:53:53 PM »
I guess this is sort of a strange topic, but I haven't posted here in a while and thought I'd see if I could get a discussion going. I spent the Memorial Day weekend at a remote hunting cabin in Pike County. On the property is a large pond similar to Stevens or Fords: relatively shallow with tons of flooded timber & stumps and some nice mats of lily pads. The pond is chock full of bass, big perch and some gills. We took our kayaks up to fish. One morning as I glided the kayak over the mat of lily pads beginning to grow off the bottom, I was astonished by the amount of life to be found in a forest of underwater weeds. With the help of polarized glasses, I saw schools of juvenile bluegills, perch, dozens of tadpoles and other salamander like critters swimming about. It was simply amazing how a small patch of weeds cultivates such a dense and diverse group of fish and life. The water was gin clear and I also caught glimpses of predators such as small bass and a couple big pickerel as the cruised the edges of the bed. What was also noteworthy was how the predators clearly aligned themselves with irregularities within the weed bed. The bass patrolled the edges of the bed, but they also hung around a random stump located among the pads. The predators also seemed to favor any abnormality, however small. A slight cut/opening/funnel in the middle of bed was where I spotted a big pickerel sulking and small open pockets throughout the bed yielded bass. Anything that deviated from the straight line seemed to be a preference point for the predators, perhaps serving as an ambush point or a funnel area for smaller fish. I  think what I saw reinforces my belief in the "structure on the structure" mentality, in that every good spot has a hot spot contained within the structure. For example, a stump filled flat with a pothole area a few feet deeper than the surrounding water or a reef adjacent to deep water with a smaller weed bed on the reef. My fishing experience has also deepened my belief that most good areas have an even better area contained within them.

We had a great time and caught dozens of bass and some slammer perch.

Well, that's my story. Not every interesting or groundbreaking. Fishing ain't rocket science, for sure. But I thought it may be worth sharing........to see if anyone else had something to add.

Database Error

Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.
SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com