36 Guests, 6 Users

Author Topic: mono,,,or braid for TOP WATER LURES????  (Read 2916 times)

chez

• AINT LIVING LONG LIKE THIS,,,,HAUS!!!!
mono,,,or braid for TOP WATER LURES????
« on: June 27, 2016, 07:23:44 AM »
What do you guys use as far as line for topwater????
lb.test is not important.

i like Braid on some lures ,,Such as,Jitterbugs,Zarra Spooks and BuzzBaits.

Poppers,WoodChoppers,and Chugbugs,,i use mono.
What turned out to be a Joke,The Law Dogs  Dont Understand!!!!

NYPA FISHING

mono,,,or braid for TOP WATER LURES????
« on: June 27, 2016, 07:23:44 AM »

Spider1

• PA Fisher
Re: mono,,,or braid for TOP WATER LURES????
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 07:28:25 AM »
I've always used mono, never gave braid as fair a try as it probably deserves. I've been told that you get less misses with braid becuase it doesn't stretch but you need to use a leader.

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 10:32:28 AM »
I switched to braid on my Susky bass outfit and never went back.  No leader.   It casts a mile, no memory, I can pull logs out of the susky with it if I get snagged.  I need to use a snap swivel though because the line diameter is so thin it can slip out of the eye of a jitterbug.

Spider man,  you need to get with the 21st century,  lmao   ;D

Spider1

• PA Fisher
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:52:23 AM »
LOL! I liked the 20th century! 8)

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2016, 10:52:23 AM »

chez

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 11:26:36 AM »
I never use a leader with my braid.

Spider1

• PA Fisher
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2016, 12:13:16 PM »
no leaders. hmm. I gotta check this braid out. Is this stuff thin enough? Does it put off fish? What brands do you use and does it float?

perchgypsy

• West Wind
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016, 12:27:57 PM »
Not all knots are easily used with braid,pAlomar knot is one I like to use alot,I always have a leader bout 20-32" I have a couple of my rods with 12lb power pro with 6 -8lb mono leader,love the no memory ,I've just switched this spring and like it Alot for jigging,main reason I like a leader is because I fish Alot of structure (rock piles mainly) and lose a lot of jigs and my line aways breaks at the leader saving me my braid $$$,as far as top water ,I would think it would make a difference with no leader if I was in a boat or kayak for easy retrieval if snagged,from shore I would have to say use a leader unless you are fishing open areas,nothing like two or three snags and half your line is gone from clipping it at the tip  ::) ???

icemole

• PA Fisher
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »
 Don't do it Spider LOL .  Like you I use mono (Sliver Thread AN-40) for almost all of my fishing. I have tried braid for everything from Shad - Musky. I have had several problems with it.  #1) loop knots in your line - generally can't pick them out.  #2) on occasion the line will loop over the end guide without you noticing on your next cast ting the line will snap. #3) loops will form in your spool if you catch them great if not they may fall off the spool on your next cast and there is no fix.

I have braid on 2 rods 1 is used for jig+pig, Carolina Rig, etc. anything I want to know what the bottom is. The other is for finesse in trees I will hit the outer parts with mono but the inner branches get braid
The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 12:48:17 PM »

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2016, 01:38:31 PM »
I do a lot of river fishing at night and the braid is so thin diameter that it will get looped over the rod tip or spill out of the spool and get hung up on the bail.  Many nights I spent some time unraveling a birds nest, but it ALWAYS came out, just took some time.  The way mono squeezes on itself some birds nest will never come apart.

I never had to cut the braid off at the rod tip with a snag.  If you get snagged you can grab a thick branch and wrap the braid around it and pull your lure out.  I've actually pulled the lip out of plugs doing this, was going to lose the lure anyway.

One thing to consider, you must use a braid ready spool or wrap a bit of electrical tape around the spool so the braid doesn't slip, I found that out the hard way on a giant susky channel cat.

Spider1

• PA Fisher
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2016, 01:42:04 PM »
yeah, I remeber getting some birds nests with the spider wire I used. If I remember right, that's why I stopped using it.

DeadBird

• PA Fisher
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 03:04:54 PM »
Since I got the kayak I tried to simplify the tackle box so I'm going straight braid. Never done it before so I don't have enough experience to give an opinion. Other than nothing in the lake is breaking me off with 30 lb.

brownmk19

• PA Fisher
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 04:18:04 PM »
Here's my two cents: I think both braid/superlines and mono have their place in the types of fishing I do. I primarily used mono and for most of my purposes, mono works pretty well. I do find braid, I use PowerPro, to be invaluable while fishing heavy cover for bass during the summer. Nothing quite puts the brakes on a bass diving for the heavy stuff like 40 pound braid. The powerpro casts exceptionally well too. While braid is more expensive, it lives up to the hype in my opinion. Mono just tends to be more economical for me in the sense that it works "good enough" considering how cheap it is. The one complaint I have about braid is that it tends to be pretty visible in the water and I tend to only use it in presentations where the fish won't have long to examine the lure. There is definitely a learning curve with braid. initially I would lose fish because I was setting the hook too early due to the incredibly low stretch and high sensitivity characteristics of braid. I've trained myself to wait just a splot second longer with braid before I set the hook. The only other drawback to braid in my experience, but only with the Suffix 832 superlines, is that they tended to bleed their green color quickly and revert to a whitish color after use which I thought was much more visible to the fish. It's all what you make of it and whatever works for you - works!

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 04:18:04 PM »

chez

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
I do a lot of river fishing at night and the braid is so thin diameter that it will get looped over the rod tip or spill out of the spool and get hung up on the bail.  Many nights I spent some time unraveling a birds nest, but it ALWAYS came out, just took some time.  The way mono squeezes on itself some birds nest will never come apart.

I never had to cut the braid off at the rod tip with a snag.  If you get snagged you can grab a thick branch and wrap the braid around it and pull your lure out.  I've actually pulled the lip out of plugs doing this, was going to lose the lure anyway.

One thing to consider, you must use a braid ready spool or wrap a bit of electrical tape around the spool so the braid doesn't slip, I found that out the hard way on a giant susky channel cat.

Im with you 100%  hd.

pabassman

• PA Fisher
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 05:48:46 PM »
 Braid. Poppers, buzzbaits no problem. A spook does get tangled sometimes. No leader.

zziipp

• TAKE A LONG WALK OFF A SHORT PIER
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »
All my top and shallow cranks.I use braid. Granted most of my summer fishing is at night.I bought a spool of some economy braid at wally world 2 yrs ago.it is like 30 or 40 lb strength.I paid like 10 bucks for 200 yds.no complaints it's still in great shape.I've yanked lily's right out lol.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 04:38:14 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com