47 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: Pre Season Trout  (Read 1939 times)

FM

• Administrator
Pre Season Trout
« on: February 28, 2017, 04:31:10 PM »
I was hoping to sneak out for some pre-season troutin' tomorrow but with the weather forecast I scheduled a meeting with a guy who is buying some construction materials I have to sell. The rest of the week doesn't look too promising. Maybe Monday.
FM

NYPA FISHING

Pre Season Trout
« on: February 28, 2017, 04:31:10 PM »

fishfinder

• wired to fish
Re: Pre Season Trout
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 05:15:48 PM »
I'm also looking forward to doing some pre season trout fishing. A few local lakes, Slocum, Francis and Irena are scheduled to be stocked March 3rd. Lily on the 15th. I noticed that the DHALO section of Harveys is now part of the keystone select trout water program.
Fish hard, bend your rod

FM

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 05:26:34 PM »
I have heard that they chenged the regs on Harvey's Lake too. It had been for years a special regs lake with trout fishing open to March 31. What I heard was that it will be closed to all fishing tomorrow until the trout opener just like Winola.
FM

pabassman

• PA Fisher
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »
I have heard that they chenged the regs on Harvey's Lake too. It had been for years a special regs lake with trout fishing open to March 31. What I heard was that it will be closed to all fishing tomorrow until the trout opener just like Winola.
FM

There are changes but for the better. Harveys is open year around now. Lifted from the fish commish site. Looks like every lake in Luzerne county that get trout is open year around.

PA Summary Book text graphic
Trout Fishing Regulations
STOCKED TROUT WATERS OPEN TO YEAR-ROUND FISHING

Waters with this designation are considered “stocked trout waters.” From 8 a.m. opening day of trout through Sept. 4, Commonwealth inland size and creel limits apply. From Jan. 1 through Feb. 28, and from Sept. 5 through Dec. 31, “extended season” size and creel limits apply. These waters are open to fishing from March 1 to opening day of trout season; however, no trout may be taken or possessed on these waters during this period.
It is unlawful to fish in rivers and streams designated as stocked trout waters open to year-round fishing without a current trout/salmon permit (or Combination Trout/Salmon/Lake Erie permit).

A trout/salmon permit is not required to fish in lakes and ponds that have been designated as stocked trout waters open to year-round fishing unless the person takes, kills, or possesses, while in the act of fishing, a trout or salmon on or in these waters.

LUZERNE
Francis E. Walter Reservoir (Bear Creek Reservoir) (Carbon / Luzerne)
Frances Slocum Lake
Harvey’s Lake (see miscellaneous special regulations)
Lake Irena
Lake Took A While (Riverlands)
Lehigh River – (Carbon / Luzerne) Carbon/Luzerne county line from outlet of F.E. Walter Reservoir downstream to confluence with Sandy Run
Lily Lake
Moon Lake
Sylvan Lake

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 06:23:30 PM »

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 09:28:41 PM »
"I noticed that the DHALO section of Harveys is now part of the keystone select trout water program."

I hope there's enough water in it when they put them in,

"The current stocking rate for trophy trout, those measuring 14 to 20 inches in length, is 5 to 10 per mile.

Stream sections that are part of the Keystone Select program receive trophy trout at a rate of 175 to 225 per mile."
    :o

fishfinder

• wired to fish
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:09:50 PM »
Yeah, I'm not sure if this good or bad. Keystone select waters are alloted a set amount of "large" trout for stocking, six more waters were added this year (including harveys)
BUT..the amount of trout alloted stays the same...7 creeks last year, 13 creeks this year,
Fish hard, bend your rod

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2017, 02:18:46 AM »
Not blaming the messenger, I thank you very much for posting the information.

I'm very familiar with that stretch, it seems nearly impossible that large trout will be able to hold over in that stretch, it gets low flow in the summer time.

They mentioned cold water flow, which it does have, they mentioned shaded area, correct, but the volume of water required to maintain 16+ inch fish for more than about 5 days does not exist in that stretch, PERIOD, not a trophy trout stream.

This manner of thinking makes me believe the Pennsylvania fish commision is now Hollywood selling themselves for nonsense, can't believe they would become so irresponsible.

Here, let me tell my tale, the native brookies are gone, now you invade the cold water with trophy trout, let me ask you, what heck are you doing ??

FM

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »
Took a short ride with HD this morning to check for some new fishing spots. We found some but no fish to go with them. Water was coming up and getting dirty, the color of sewer water not pretty. On a brighter note I saw and heard my first pair of wood ducks for the year. Things should start to pick up in the next few weeks.
FM

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com