72 Guests, 0 Users

Author Topic: Favorite Parts of PA to camp and Hike?  (Read 5706 times)

RutNut

• Montana 2011
Favorite Parts of PA to camp and Hike?
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:47 PM »
Just wondered what everybody's favorite parts of PA are to camp and hike, bike, backpack etc...................   I have always loved the NorthCentral part of the state up above Williamsport and north of Jersey SHore, Pa. The Pine Creek Valley is a favorite. Have done some backpacking and mountain biking and hiking in that area. Would like to do more fishing there too.

Couple years ago I did a backpacking spring gobbler hunting/fishing trip with a friend along a stretch of the Black Forrest Trail. Unfortunately we hiked a bit too far up in elevation and all the streams were way too small to hold any fish. Was really neat up there and the solitude could not be beat, but no fishing that trip.

Last year did the same thing solo along the Old Logger's path north of Trout Run. Fished the upper stretches of Rock Run for native trout, which I found out the hard way can be difficult to catch! But again found some beautiful areas to camp, hunt and fish and had fun "getting away from it all!"  8)

So let's here it..................... ....................... .where are your favorite areas to leave civilization behind???!!!

NYPA FISHING

Favorite Parts of PA to camp and Hike?
« on: April 09, 2015, 08:18:47 PM »

FM

• Administrator
Re: Favorite Parts of PA to camp and Hike?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 09:43:43 PM »
Pine Creek Valley is my favorite place to camp also. I was born in Wellsboro and have personal roots in the Pine Creek Valley from Wellsboro to Jersey Shore. I love it!!! If you follow the link to the archived camping threads at Fishin247 you will find lots of piture essays of my adventures out there. I've been going there my whole life but really got serious about the hiking trails about 12 years ago. I don't do back packing but lots of heavy duty day hiking. I wish I had gotten the bug earlier in life, but I still lead the pack whether its my wife and kids or a bunch of scouts they all end up at the back of the line.
FM

Here's a quick link to one of our adventures.
http://www.fishin247.com/f247/b252_back-at-camp/t3571_camping-with-snakes-pine-creek-gorge-7-17-09/

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 10:47:38 PM »
Loyalsock State Forest, loads of nice streams and native brookies.  Rock Run is the most beautiful stream I've seen in PA.  Where you anywhere near Hound Run or Hound Dog run, lol, it's been awhile.

RutNut

• Montana 2011
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »
FM- I didn't know you were from out that way. Have biked the Pine Creek Rail Trail also several times. We did a small section of it (5 miles out and 5 miles back) many years ago when the kids were smaller when we camped at Little Pine S.P. Last year I did a 50 miler with a buddy from Jersey Shore to Slate Run and back. We left in the morning and rolled into the Manor Hotel at Slate Run at 11. Had a nice leisurely lunch and frosty brew out on the deck overlooking the Pine Creek. Checked out that placque they have there telling about Phillip Tome. Then we rode back and stopped at a general store about half way back for a large soft serve cone. Was a great day!  8)

THis year we are planning to do the northern section of the trail, but we're gonna do an overnighter. Start at Slate Run and go north to Ansonia, turn around and go back to Tiadacton and camp there for the night. THen get up the next day and pedal back to slate run. I saw that Rattlesnake rock on the map and thought we will have to check that out.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:52:01 PM by RutNut »

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 07:48:12 PM »

RutNut

• Montana 2011
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 07:59:31 PM »
Loyalsock State Forest, loads of nice streams and native brookies.  Rock Run is the most beautiful stream I've seen in PA.  Where you anywhere near Hound Run or Hound Dog run, lol, it's been awhile.

You wouldn't be thinking of Yellow Dog Run, would you? That's where I camped last year- right where Yellow Dog Run empties into Rock Run. One of the coolest places I have ever camped. I fell asleep each nite to the sound of the water going over the little falls there!  8)

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 03:51:39 PM »
Yup, thanks for the pm rut, there's a nice little bridge in that area, beautiful beautiful area.  I know the camp site, unless you set up off trail somewhere.  I love Rock Run, there are so many nice spots to fish out there.

chez

• AINT LIVING LONG LIKE THIS,,,,HAUS!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 04:58:59 PM »
I use to CAMP at PAPPYs a lot.right at the point.REESE use to fight me for the spot, said it was his spot,but I allway won.He had a wooden leg.Tellem DURK.
What turned out to be a Joke,The Law Dogs  Dont Understand!!!!

durk

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »
He was gonna kick my as# one night
he asked me if I was a general I said
no then he said only a general can sit
at the point of the bar so I told him were
he can go and Would War 111 broke out :o

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 05:52:50 PM »

durk

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 05:55:27 PM »
I use to CAMP at PAPPYs a lot.right at the point.REESE use to fight me for the spot, said it was his spot,but I allway won.He had a wooden leg.Tellem DURK.
Chez
was there ever a time you and I went out that
a big pile of steaming sh#t didn't hit the fan :o

chez

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2015, 06:49:22 PM »
FUNERALS

RutNut

• Montana 2011
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2015, 07:37:16 PM »
LOL Guys, but that's not the kind of "camping" we're talkin' about. Better bring it back on topic or we're gonna get scolded by FM!  ;)

RutNut

• Montana 2011
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 08:16:50 PM »
Yup, thanks for the pm rut, there's a nice little bridge in that area, beautiful beautiful area.  I know the camp site, unless you set up off trail somewhere.  I love Rock Run, there are so many nice spots to fish out there.

No, I was right there next to Yellow Dog Run where it dumps into Rock Run. You talking about the bridge downstream from Yellow Dog Run where the road crosses from one side of Rock Run to the other?

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2015, 08:16:50 PM »

chez

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 07:36:49 AM »
All jokeing aside,we use to camp on the big d just up river from Zane Gray,a short walk of about 70yds to the river.We use to set our tents under a big Silver Maple tree.in a farmers yard.He use to cut the grass for us.we werr the only ones he allowed.$10.00 for the weekend.It was really nice.And good fishin and swimming.

outbakjak

• PA Fisher
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2015, 11:53:39 AM »
we used to camp down in the pines near 7 springs rod and gun and on the other inlet to the third dam .both were awesome spots with good fishing nearby.now it is just too much of a hassle to get back to them now.a lot of fond old memories

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 12:24:34 PM »
Rut,  I might actually have the photos somewhere,  I'll see if I can find them.   I know we came down Yellow dog the one time, the guy I went with lived out there, he had a sort of go-cart / atv and we took game land trails in.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2015, 12:24:34 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com