36 Guests, 1 User

Author Topic: trout magnets  (Read 14197 times)

Susky

• PA Fisher
trout magnets
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »
Everyone keeps talking of the trout magnets, so I just ordered some.  I hope they work as good as you all say  ;)
Don't Horse Em ....

NYPA FISHING

trout magnets
« on: April 12, 2015, 07:46:29 PM »

zziipp

• TAKE A LONG WALK OFF A SHORT PIER
Re: trout magnets
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 09:56:10 PM »
they work awsome on panfish and trout.usually wallyworld or dicks has them in kits also and i believe nimrods has some.stopped at dicks in w-b the other day and man since they remodeled they jacked up the prices on a lot of fishing stuff. unless they are running a big sale i wont be stopping there.i just bought a stabilizer and limbsavers and when i looked at dicks prices it would have cost me over 20 dollars more.yesterday i packed all spinners, i thought the crick would have been faster and a lil murky. well i got a couple on spinners but was watching a couple of fly guys working the bottom with nymphs and killing them. luckily andy had his magnet kit in his bag and i swithed over and was banging them away.i used white because the wind was putting a lil slack in my line and i could easily see the white ones drifting slowly accross the bottom and could see the trout pick em up and set the hook before they could spit it out.just like anything else some days they r killers and other days the fish want something else. but def.. worth adding to the tackle box for variety.if you cant catch fish on them ever just quit fishing lol.i have gave a couple out at times when i was killing them and had guys ask me what the hell i was using and handed them a couple and made thier day. sometimes i use some of my small glowjigs from ice fishing and thread the magnet worm on and they work just as good as the lil jigheads that come with the magnets.

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
Thanks for the info zip.  Do u use the little float like they advertise or just fish them like you would say a salmon egg?  Looking forward to getting them in the mail.  That sucks about Dick's.  Gotta pay for that remodel somehow. Haha
Don't Horse Em ....

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »
Do they imitate a wax worm or grub ?    I would think you would fish them like a nymph which would mean pretty much on the bottom.   But after what I saw yesterday I think the early season stockies will go after anything if they're in a feeding mood.

I did find some cased caddis stuck to rocks.  They are the caddis larvae worm which burrows into the insides of sticks and twigs using the bark as a case.  Those worms were thick and pale green.   You can find them on many creeks, if you find a 2 inch piece of twig that looks like it's stuck to a rock there are  caddis larvae inside.

Also guys have been saying the Green Weenie has been effective this year.  So maybe green would be a good color to try.

Caddis Larvae 

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 02:08:08 PM »

chez

• AINT LIVING LONG LIKE THIS,,,,HAUS!!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 05:25:41 PM »
those are stix worms,the native trout creeks are lodded with them great bait.that mymph look just like them.great match.
What turned out to be a Joke,The Law Dogs  Dont Understand!!!!

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 07:30:35 PM »
Great photo HD and great looking fly.  I plan on fishing them bouncing bottom like a nymph.  I used to do that with salmon eggs back in the day and caught them by the bucket loads.  Tried fly fishing but never got into it.  Avid fly fishermen would tell be I would be a great nympher by thevway I fish bait. 
Don't Horse Em ....

FM

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 07:57:00 PM »
HD you are doing the caddis larva a disservice with your analysis of their home building techniques. They are master builders not burrowers. Look closely at your pic of their homes they are built piece by piece of native materials. The ones you pictured are different than any I have seen before but that's not surprising as in every little crick they inhabit that have arrives at a unique solution to home building. I have never investigated them extensively but in my experience their homes a product of the water and materials that are available to build with. sometimes gravel, sticks, bits of bark, pine needles etc. There is even a company that has patented the idea of placing the larva in water with gold, or precious gem fragments and sell the results as jewelry. They are truly amazing creatures.
FM

Look Here:
https://www.google.com/search?q=caddis+jewelry&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=685&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=imUsVdinL5DLsASz6YGACg&ved=0CCAQsAQ

And Here:
http://twistedsifter.com/2013/03/caddisfly-larvae-cases/
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:00:28 PM by FM »

HenryDavid

• PA Fisher
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 09:47:14 PM »
Yes FM you are correct, they are builders.  I tried to make my post as simplified as possible for the non-fly fishing crew.  Plus I need a refresher course each spring.  I never knew you were such a fan of caddis, nice site and page.

The photo was borrowed, not my pic  :-\   Next time I find them I will be sure to take a photo.  I have seen a few that have surrounded themselves with sand like material and tiny stones, but mostly the ones I've found are cased in the small twig type material.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 09:47:14 PM »

chez

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 05:33:21 AM »
Ive seen them surrounded with tiny pebbles also.

Lip Ripper

• PA Fisher
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2015, 07:49:20 AM »
I've been using the magnets for a few years now and they are great because their so dynamic: you can fish them on a retrieve with a little zig zag action (killer for active trout), you can fish them with a slow rolling retrieve, you can dead drift them with the little trout magnet float, and you can even use them through the ice to jig up trout and panfish.... what I've noticed about the trout magnet though is that they work the best earlier on in the season (for the stockers), as the trout get more and more acclimated to the water the more they lock on to the native bugs and other food sources.

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2015, 06:15:40 PM »
I used to fish meal worms in a similar way.  Hook them with a bait holder hook like you would a jig and throw them out and kind of twitch them through a pool like you would a sluggo or super fluke.  Caught a lot of trout with that method
Don't Horse Em ....

Wizzy

• PA Fisher
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 07:59:18 PM »
Aren't these trout magnets just a small shad dart with no hair but a rubber beetle spin rubber slid on the hook.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2015, 07:59:18 PM »

Lip Ripper

• PA Fisher
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2015, 08:32:07 PM »
pretty much wizzy, just 1/32 ounce shad darter lookin jig head and very similar to what the beetle spin grub looks like except skinnier, and its only about 1" long

Susky

• PA Fisher
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2015, 05:04:06 PM »

Got my magnets  ;D. They stick to the fridge very good tho for being magnets  :o
Don't Horse Em ....

chez

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 05:11:49 PM »
I BUY THE PANFISH KIT EVERY YEAR,I LUV EM.GOOD LUCK WITH THOSE SUSKY,POST SOME PICS of fish.SAVE THOSE TROUT HEADS FOR CATFISH BAIT.

NYPA FISHING

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2015, 05:11:49 PM »

SuskyFishers-Bottom

Advertise @ PAFishers.com
Copyright 2017 PAFishers.com